Latest posts by Janiece Dickenson, HIS (see all)
- Hearing Aids and Artificial Intelligence - December 23, 2019
- Strange Causes of Hearing Loss - November 21, 2019
- Undertreated & Undiagnosed: Age-Related Hearing Loss - October 30, 2019
Hearing loss is the case where one can no longer perceive sound. The situation can occur in one or even both ears. The damage can range from profound to mild. Although people of sixty or more years are vulnerable to the problem, hearing loss can happen to anyone. However, the person who experiences the damages should not think it’s the end of ever hearing again.
Numerous solutions for treating and managing the loss are available. For instance, patients can undergo surgeries, use medication, or even wear and implant hearing aids. However, learning more about symptoms, causes, and treatments may be of help to ensure that the issue is handled before further damages occur. This information on hearing loss can impact your loved ones, or even help you to understand how to handle various cases.
An Insight into the Dangers and Challenges of Hearing Loss
The problem of not perceiving sound does not only have an impact on the patient but also to other people close to the affected individual. Furthermore, well-being and health are threatened by the problem. According to researches, individuals with the perceiving of sound problem experience higher rates of social isolation, cognitive decline as well as depression. Besides, patients experience high medical costs caused by other health cases. High risks of dangerous trips or falls are other challenges faced by an individual with hearing impairment. Lower earnings for employed and unemployment to other people are other challenges that the impaired people undergo.
Discover the Symptoms of Hearing Impairment
The signs of hearing damage may differ depending on the kind of the problem. The cause and extent of injuries could also influence the symptoms of the issue. However, with the aged group of people, a high-frequency loss is experienced. High-pitched sounds such as the chirping of birds, or sharp sounds could be hard to hear. Nevertheless, below is a list of the things people with hearing impairment experience.
- Feeling that you can hear but fail to understand.
- Needing to turn up volumes of television or radio.
- Understanding daily conversation becomes an experience.
- Needing people to repeat their speech for you to understand.
- Difficulty in communicating in a noisy point like group meetings or restaurants.
- Tinnitus and ringing or buzzing sound in ears.
The Causes of Hearing Impairment
To determine and adopt the right treatment, it turns out to be necessary to know the cause of the issue. Many cases can lead to hearing loss.
- Age-related impairment is likely to occur when one attains age sixty and above. Regular exposure to loud sounds like gunfire and hoots.
- Genetic disorders have been among the major risk factors causing hearing impairment. Therefore, an individual with family members experiencing the problem should be cautious.
- Ototoxic medicine could also be a causative agent.
- Head injuries or trauma may also damage the era.
- Acoustic neuroma
- Infections like Meniere and autoimmune diseases.
Hearing Loss Treatment and Management
Hearing impairment is a common case with many people. Research shows that nearly twenty percent of people experience the issue. However, with treatment and managing ways, the loss can be countered. For instance, some infection cases require antibiotics and other drugs.
Furthermore, surgeries have helped people to regain their hearing ability. Other operations are done to prevent further damages to the ear and its organs. However, before the audiologists decide the approach, they must consider involved risks.
Hearing aids have been the best remedy and management solutions with no risks involved. Implants of the electronic devices could be done in the era. Also, one may wear hearing aids to amplify sounds. The gadgets are the best option because users can adjust the volume.
Artificial Intelligence in Hearing Aids
Technology has been implemented in the making of the hearing devices. People with hearing impairment can access the digitalized gadgets that are computer-controlled. Improved and clear sound is a factor you cannot assume from the AI devices. Besides, hearing gadget users can hear naturally without the need for adjusting the sound. Technology continues to affect the sector, and with time, you can find better and improved electronic hearing aids. You will only require to get the right amplifier matching your problem.